Sunday, September 21, 2008

My New Neighbor

A couple months back, my next door neighbor came running up to me when I was taking the dog for a walk in the park. Apparently someone was throwing out a bunch of styrofoam on the next block over. We high-tailed it over there and sure enuf, people were loading a van up with styrofoam of every shape and size.

I actually buy the stuff to use as a base for mosaic projects, so I was pretty stoked. Not only did they give it to me, but my new neighbor, Jackie, and her sister, Laurel, drove the styrofoam over to my house in said van and asked politely to see my studio.

They liked my style and are going to take a class. Jackie is only in town from CA one day a week for work, but weeks went by and I hadn't heard from her. Friday I walked past her house and thought, how great it would be to have a meal or just coffee with Jackie and see how she is liking Phoenix.

So she calls Saturday and invites me to breakfast. This morning, over complicated eggs (peppers, greens, onions, tortilla strips) we get chatting about our weird little neighborhood and the fact that almost all the former board members of our much-maligned park association have quit. This is good news; she is a good messenger.

So I recommitted to attending a meeting later today with Jackie and another neighbor to see if we can stir up some positives.

Oh, and I will teach Jackie and several other guinea pigs their first mosaics class the week before Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

HealingHands said...

Waaaaaah, I WANNA take a mosaic class from you! Why is it our world has become so small that we can have friends all over the planet that we regularly communicate with, but the biggest downside is we can't just POP over for a cup o joe and a little chat. Miss you kiddo! xoxoxo

Me said...

I miss you too - you can come out any time and take a class though! :-)